What does it take to be ‘Britain’s oldest brewer’?
Join us for an exclusive morning with Jonathan Neame, CEO of Kent’s most iconic brand. With over 300 pubs, he’ll be sharing his priceless experience and advice on navigating the highs and lows of business as well as his secrets to success since joining his family’s company in 1991.
- How does he find, motivate and incentivise great senior staff?
- How do they keep the ‘family business’ feel as the company gets bigger?
- How do they stay engaged with customers as they grow?
- How does he manage shareholder relationships when they’re also family?
- What’s the process with family members wanting to join the business?
- What role does technology and innovation play in his business?
- What would be his 5 secrets to success for other family businesses?
Jonathan Neame, CEO of Shepherd Neame
Jonathan joined the company in 1991 and was appointed CEO in 2003 as a 5th generation of the Neame family. He has been Chairman of the British Beer & Pub Association and is currently Chairman of Visit Kent, a Trustee of the Leeds Castle Foundation and is a Deputy Lieutenant of Kent.
A series of quarterly events exclusively for those who own and/or lead family-owned businesses in Kent. Each forum is hosted at one of Kent’s most exciting and innovative family firms (see previous hosts below) and includes a presentation by the owner as well as a personal guided tour. Think ‘through the keyhole’ for family businesses. The Forums are free but on an invitation-only basis.
Who can attend?
The events are ONLY for the leaders of family businesses. Whether you’re a 5th generation manufacturer in Sevenoaks, a 2nd generation construction company in Ashford or a husband and wife start-up in Maidstone. It doesn’t matter how big or small you are, or what industry you work in – everyone is welcome. Rest assured the events won’t be flooded with professional advisors apart from our hand-picked sponsors who are committed to supporting entrepreneurs have become trusted advisors to many of our members over the years.
What will I learn?
We explore both sides of family business –
- Business: growth, technology, people, leadership, innovation, marketing & more
- Family: succession planning, how to ‘let go’, governance, trust, managing difficult relationships, believing in the next generation & more
Who will I meet?
Running a family business can be lonely. That’s why it’s so important to get out and meet others who have faced the same challenges. At the Forums you’ll meet fellow leaders of family businesses who all share your passion for business, ambition and family values. What’s more, you’ll get to know people you can do business with and share connections and opportunities. For our regular guests, these forums have become unmissable and a fantastic way to grow their businesses with like-minded entrepreneurs.
This year we have a fantastic series of quarterly forums for you. You can either book each event individually or book all 4 at once to secure your place.
- 17 June – Shepherd Neame, Faversham
- 11 September – Bedfont Scientific, Maidstone
- 3 December – Macknades, Faversham